Wednesday, January 6, 2010

And now for room #2!

Our bedroom is finished! Actually, it's been finished for awhile, it has just taken me a couple weeks to take the pictures. So to start with, here are a few before pictures. . .


And here is the finished (almost) room! I was going for a 360 degree tour. . .







So I'm sure you can tell by the pictures that our bedroom is tiny. There is room to walk around the bed, but that's about it. You're probably wondering, then, why I would choose to put a couch in the single free corner of the room. Well, I bought it for a dollar at an auction. And I just love the color and character of it. And it didn't really fit anywhere else in the house. And my husband had to break the legs off to fit it up the stairs, drag it up the stairs by himself, and then rebuild the legs. So I thought he would kill me if I said, "I don't think it really fits in here after all. . ." Really, even though the room is small, it doesn't feel cramped or crowded.
.
The couch was the first killer deal. The second was the headboard that I made. For some reason, it looks kind of lumpy in the pictures. That's not really how it looks. Anyway, I've seen people make headboards on home improvement shows, so I decided to take a stab at it. Kaleif cut the plywood. I made the measurements-- I think they were something like "two inches less than four and a half feet by a little bit more than two feet." And somehow he figured that out :) So I took my piece of plywood, spread cluster stuffing over the top of it, then pulled the fabric tight and stapled it around the edges. I also made the buttons. . . out of a quarter, some stuffing, the headboard fabric, and super glue. The project was SUPER easy. I think it took me about a half-hour.

The third killer deal were the pictures that hang above the dollar couch. I took these pictures of the floors in Sadie's room before I painted them, bought $2 frames at Ikea, and cut the mats with my trusty mat-cutting kit!

So the room is small and pretty simple, but I LOVE it! Again, I'm missing the curtains. . . still looking :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job, Sar!!
g'ma

Los Askays said...

Looks sooo good! I love the headboard you made! We scored one at a thrift store, but I think I want more of a statement. I saw one I really would like to make....I'll see if I can find it and send you the link. You should start a photography business in Casselton. You could start with Seniors then move to weddings etc. You'd be great!! MISS YOU!

bethany said...

How did I miss this one? I'm really confused, but glad I can see it all nice and cleaned up! Looks great! The color + your comforter look divine, and the cherry blossom painting makes my heart flutter.

Love,