Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fresh cut grass (or weeds)

I've needed to mow for awhile now. The problem is, every time I get ready to go outside and get to work, it starts raining. So now my grass looks like this:
My dad would be so disappointed in my yard. Its not like its nice even when its groomed, but it has gotten pretty out of control. So with a little prompting from my landlord ("Do you think you guys will get a chance to mow the grass before you move?"), I decided that today, come rain or come shine, I would mow, or at least start to mow. I dug around my garage and found my Scott's 16in. Elite Push Reel Lawn Mower (that's it, there in that picture). Are you looking for the motor? Yeah, it doesn't exist. I bought this mower last spring-- I'm not sure if I was feeling really environmentally friendly or just cheap. Anyway, this is my only weapon against the fast-growing forest around my house.So I put Sadie in her carrier and we got to work. One of our cats, Tucker, kept trying to attack the mower. I think the cats were sad to see the grass go. They have fun pretending they're big lions, the kings of the jungle. The short grass doesn't give them much room to hide and hunt.
I generally like mowing, but I do not like mowing the front lawn here. We live on one of the busier streets in Billings and when I mow, I seem to attract a lot of attention. I guess a girl with a baby strapped to her chest wrestling with a push reel mower is interesting to people. I would probably stare too. In fact, one sunny Saturday last spring, a drunk man on a bicycle stopped and asked if I wanted to use his "electric" mower instead. Ummm. . . no, thanks. Actually, I think my mower would be pretty good at cutting grass. The problem is, my lawn is about three percent grass and ninety-seven percent weeds. So I usually have to push through each part three or four times before it cuts. However, my mower is excellent at cutting through dandelions. I don't think Scott's will be hiring me to advertise for them any time soon.I made it through most of the front yard after a few hours of work. Maybe I'll tackle the back tomorrow.

5 comments:

Laura said...

I think I would have taken that guy's offer on the "electric" lawn mower. Sounds pretty big ballin'.

bethany said...

Lawn looks good sis. Probably totally worth it too.

Laura said...

I love your picture mamacita!

bethany said...

Hey me too! So cute!

klak said...

Ughhh! Dandelions!!